Monday, January 17, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie: A Doll's History and Her Impact on Usby Tanya Lee Stone


As a child I had several Barbies, her clothing and accessories, no Ken, as I wasn't allowed one.

This book cover grabbed my attention and I had to pick it up, mainly because I've never quite understood why so many people insist that she is a "bad" role model. I don't have a low self - esteem because of her, I played hours on end (alone, I was an only child) developing story lines and clothing which, I feel has helped, made me a more creative person.

This book details her history. I learned so many things and was left with nostalgia. If i still had my Barbies, I might just have pulled them out, combed their hair and changed all their clothing!

I feel that this book gives a fair and balanced view on, Barbie. You read accounts of both positive and negative experience and the changes this little 11inch doll has gone though.

If you loved, Barbie and much as, I did, you will enjoy this book.

Grade: A


Synopsis [B&N]
During her unparalleled fifty-year history, Barbie has been the doll that some people love and some people love to hate. There'no question she's influenced generations, but to what end? Acclaimed nonfiction author Tanya Lee Stone takes an unbiased look at how Barbie became the icon that she is, and at the impact that she's had on our culture (and vice versa). Featuring passionate anecdotes and memories from a range of girls and women, a foreword by Meg Cabot, and original color photographs, this book explores the Barbie phenomenon in a brand-new light.

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...